Electrical safety: Do’s and Dont’s

Electricity is a universal energy that surrounds us and one that we interact with every day. Most of the time we take it for granted and only notice it when it’s absent; like in a power cut. What most of us lose sight of is just how dangerous electricity is. Government statistics show that faulty appliances and leads were the cause of over 4,000 fires in 2017/18. These numbers are showing a gradual decline, but the point of this article is to help drive down these numbers further to safeguard the people of Warwick and Stratford upon Avon.


Do frequently inspect sockets and plugs for signs of scorching or any crackling noises. If blowing a fuse is a regular occurrence, you should contact a certified electrician.

Do purchase your electrical appliances from a trustworthy vendor and follow the manual to the letter when using them.

Do prevent the build-up of lint and dust behind your fridge and freezer ensuring there’s enough space around the appliance so air can circulate.

Do make sure your oven and hob are spotless to prevent food particles and fat catching fire.


Don’t leave any appliances on when you’re asleep or away from home that is not essential, like the fridge and freezer, for instance.

Don’t overload dishwashers, tumble dryers or washing machines. It leads to wear and tear and an unnecessary fire risk.

Don’t position your fridge or freezer in too close proximity to an oven. Your white goods will have to work overtime to keep cool.

Don’t ignore any potential electrical fault. At the first sign of deterioration, you should stop using the appliance or socket and call a qualified electrician to inspect the problem.

Electrical safety has a lot to do with common sense. By following these simple steps, you will help to keep you and your family safe. If you live in Warwick or Stratford upon Avon and you have any concerns about your electrics, contact us at 007 Electricians for a professional and reliable electrical service.